My mother is a veracious reader having read hundreds of books. So many that she actually keeps a word document of all the books listed in alphabetical and numerical order. Recently she started putting a gold star sticker on the inside cover of the books that have been given to her so she knows that she has completed the book. She’s a big James Patterson fan so I make sure to supply her with his latest book as it’s released.
I have vivid memories of mom reading comfortably in bed day in and day out. It’s been her outlet, her source of relaxation and escape from her nagging children! I remember the times I’d approach her and say, “Mom, I’m bored!” and she’d always respond without batting an eye, “Go read a book.” It was the last thing that I wanted to hear as a child but one of the best pieces of advice I would ever get from her.
Fast forward to today. Reading is actually one of my favorite hobbies. I believe what makes us WHO we are is a compilation of what we feed our mind every single day. Our thoughts become our behavior which becomes our character. But what drives these thoughts are what we expose ourselves to. The media, our network of people. Our keen awareness of these influences are the cornerstone to our successes.
The day I fully grasped that concept I was mind blown. I remember thinking, “holy sh*t, can I really rewire my brain at my age to think a certain way, and hence, redesign my entire human existence?!”
And so I gained a new perspective and vowed to live the most fruitful and intentional life. First thing I did was pick up a book. And no, it wasn’t James Patterson (sorry mom). Though highly entertaining, I sought after a different purpose. I wanted the words on the page to speak to me and my life. I sought direction, clarity, a way to lead myself so that I could be the best leader to other people. I realized that it started with ME. And if I ever wanted to run a successful business or have people follow me I had to be my biggest fan. I had to be willing to put in the work, lead by example, be transparent and most importantly be a lifelong learner.
Through my reading journey I stumbled upon others that shared the interest in personal development. My basketball coaches had always been my mentors but now they were the authors of my books. Guys like Stephen Covey, Andy Andrews, John Maxwell, Tony Robbins, Robert Kiyosaki, Grant Cardone and Napoleon Hill were rewiring my mind. Tai Lopez, investor, entrepreneur and author, credits his fame to his massive bookshelves that line his entire estate. Really guys, this stuff is actually cool and apparently can make you millions!
I will share a few of my favorite titles below (in no particular preference order). I’ll admit, reading a book can be a drag but it’s probably because you didn’t pick up the one that suits you best. There are over 700,000 books published in the US alone every year, I’m sure there’s at least one out there for you!
If you’ve continued reading it’s probably because you’re still interested in taking on this challenge so I invite you to explore some of the books that have worked for me that could very well hit home for you. You’re not allowed to be bored anymore! Enjoy 🙂
- Crush It!: Why NOW Is the Time to Cash In on Your Passion, Gary Vaynerchuk
- Change Your Thoughts, Change Your Life: Living the Wisdom of the Tao, Dr. Wayne W. Dyer
- Developing the Leader Within You, John C. Maxwell
- The Miracle Morning: The Not-So-Obvious Secret Guaranteed to Transform Your Life – Before 8AM, Hal Elrod
- Awaken the Giant Within, Anthony Robbins
- Think and Grow Rich, Napoleon Hill
- The Energy Bus: 10 Rules to Fuel Your Life, Work, and Team with Positive EnergyJon Gordon
- Rich Dad Poor Dad: What the Rich Teach Their Kids About Money – That the Poor and Middle Class Do Not!, Robert T. Kiyosaki
- The ONE Thing: The Surprisingly Simple Truth Behind Extraordinary Results, Gary Keller, Jay Papasan
- The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People: Powerful Lessons in Personal Change, Stephen R. Covey
- The 10X Rule: The Only Difference Between Success and Failure, Grant Cardone
- The Seven Decision: Understanding the Keys to Personal Success, Andy Andrews
- Getting the Love You Want: A Guide for Couples: 20th Anniversary Edition, Harville Hendrix
- The Secret, Rhonda Byrne
- How To Win Friends and Influence People, Dale Carnegie